Monday, July 27, 2009

A (recently) Extinct Attraction: The Mickey Mouse Revue


I had originally planned for a very different blog this week. But while surfing through some Disney News Feeds, I found some news that really bummed me out.

While it may be old news to some, I just recently discovered that one of my ALL TIME favorite Walt Disney World attractions was about to go the way of the Dodo...

Well, technically, it isn't a Walt Disney World Attraction...but it WAS!!!

The Mickey Mouse Revue, which has been an attraction at the Magic Kingdom in Toyko Japan, since it was packed up and shipped out of Walt Disney World, is closing it's doors forever.

I realize that I may be dating myself (especially since it left WDW on September 14th, 1980) when I tell you that this show was one of our family's must see's, every vacation.

Even though it has been nearly 30 years (and it pains me to say that) , I can still remember it as though I saw it yesterday...

The Revue will always be a true classic in my book...

To begin with, name one other attraction that can boast such a star studded line up as the Revue?

With characters from Disney Classics such as Cinderella, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Song of the South, The Jungle Book, The Three Caballeros, The Three Little Pigs, Alice in Wonderland and Dumbo...and that's not to mention the Fab Five, Huey Dewey and Louie and even some lesser known characters such as Abner and Monty (The Country and City Mice).


Now, I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, as I am a HUGE fan of what we all have to enjoy these days at our Four Parks, but it would be nice to see a show, or attraction for that matter, with some "new" faces in it. I love what they have done at the parks lately, with the more "marketable" characters, but I wish that we had a chance to see more of the classics...more of the characters that got us all hooked on Disney in the first place!!!

And with classic songs from all of the above films, this was a not to be missed attraction...

I had always assumed I would get a chance to see it again when I, someday, visited Toyko Disneyland...but alas, that will unfortunately not be the case...

I could drone on and one about the show, the songs, the characters, and how it made me feel, but instead I have decided to simply attach the footage of the Mickey Mouse Revue, from the Grand Opening of Walt Disney World Television Broadcast...

For those of you who have seen this before, I am sure it will take you back in time...for those who have never seen it, I hope you can get a feel for just how special a show it was.

I hope you enjoy the show...

And as always, feel free to drop in with a comment...I always love to hear your thoughts and ideas on The WED Page!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment